Daniel Cates’ biography
Daniel Cates is an American poker professional and one of the best online players of our time, specializing in high stakes cash games.
The guy was born in Bowie, Maryland (USA). In this city, the future player spent his childhood as well. At school, Dan wasn't an excellent student and didn't spend much time on reading books, but when studied hard, he could easily get great marks. The young boy wasn't interested in sport, literature or politics, but he had a big passion for computer games (Command & Conquer).
At the same time, Daniel got involved into gambling, particularly into poker. First, he closely monitored professionals’ playing, and after some time, started to actively play with his friends in the kitchen. Cates’ parents did not like such a lifestyle of their son. They tried to prevent him from playing poker in every possible way and restrict access to everything that (on their opinion) was harmful to the boy. But Daniel had a completely different view of life.
17-year old man decided to play poker online, which was against the law. He managed to earn some money on Full Tilt but over time, his account with $400 on balance was frozen, until the guy turned 18. Luckily for Daniel, the money was kept on the account. Over the course of playing on Full Tilt and PokerStars, he has earned upward of $10 million.
Cates has become more recognizable in poker circles in 2009, when he had a duel against Isildur1. That time Dan lost more than half a million dollars to his opponent. But after some time, the guy was able to win more than a million, having accepted The Durrrr Challenge, which has not been completed so far.
His biggest live tournament cash is equal to $1 774 000 for taking runner-up in the €100 000 Super High Roller at the EPT 2014 in Monte Carlo. That day young Cates lost the final battle to another poker professional Daniel Colman.
In the same 2014, Daniel won the $100K WPT Alpha8 high roller in South Africa. For this victory he got $500 000 in prize money.
Even more money ($1 000 000) he earned in 2017 during the Triton High Roller Series in Paranaque City, Philippines. The Jungleman managed to finish third in Main Event with a HK$1 000 000 buy-in.
The player’s other big live tournament score is 10th place in the HK$2 100 000 Super High Roller Bowl in Macau in 2018. Daniel took home over $740 00.
Cates continues to achieve great results in poker. He maintains the status of one of the best online heads-up players in the world. In addition, the guy leads very active life. Thus, he has appeared in the scandalous video with half-naked girls from Russia.
Interesting facts about Daniel Cates:
- The guy was obsessed with computer game Command & Conquer.
- Dan first got acquainted with poker began at 15 years old. His parents were against such a hobby of their son.
- Cates is the world champion in Bubble Trouble.
- He worked in McDonald’s while studying at the University of Maryland. Later the boy used the earned money for depositing.
- Daniel Cates is a friend of a millionaire Scott Palmer. They used to play poker with friends at home.
- Jungleman is a frequent guest at the Bobby’s Room (famous cash game room) in the Bellagio in Las Vegas.
- In May 2019, Dan got robbed late at night on his way home.
Daniel Cates on social networks:
- Cates on Twitter (@junglemandan)
- Daniel Cates on Instagram (junglemandanpoker)