Jason Mercier’s biography
Jason Mercier is one of the most successful tournament players of our time. He started playing poker at the age of 15, but started seriously thinking about poker career at the university, having inspired by the victory of Chris Moneymaker at the WSOP Main Event. Mercier began to make a profit by playing online poker performing at cash tables mainly. He rarely took part in tournaments (at that time his screen name was "treysfull21").
The American won his first offline event at the age of 21. In April 2008, he took down the Main Event EPT Sanremo in Italy and received €869 000. Mercier didn’t even pay a buy-in of €5 000, but won a ticket to the online satellite. After that, the guy showed poor results at the World Series of Poker, but it did not prevent him from playing tournaments in the future. Thus, a year later, Jason won his first WSOP bracelet, and now the player is in the top 20 of the most successful tournament players in live poker.
Following the victory at the World Series of Poker, Mercier was invited to join the PokerStars Team Pro – he used to be a PokerStars ambassador for 8 years.
"JasonMercier" results in online tournaments are as successful as in offline. He’s won 5 SCOOP titles and twice became the WCOOP champion (at PokerStars).
In many respects, the WSOP 2016 became significant for Mercier. Before the series started, he made an incredible bet with Vanessa Selbst that he would be able to win 3 gold bracelets in 2016. The stakes were Jason's $10 000 to Vanessa's $1 800 000. As a result, he lost the bet, but performed at the festival as efficiently as possible – he won two gold bracelets, reached the final table 4 times, earned over $960 000 in prize money and asked his girlfriend (who is currently his wife) to marry him.
In January 2018, the poker player announced his retirement from PokerStars Team Pro and that he would play poker far less.
Interesting facts about Jason Mercier:
- Mercier played basketball and football well in his youth. While studying at college (the guy went to college after he was kicked out of the university), Jason worked as a substitute teacher and trained children's football and basketball teams.
- Jason took part in the filming of the 6th and 7th seasons of the popular poker show High Stakes Poker.
- In 2009, Mercier was voted Bluff Magazine’s Player of the Year, and in 2016 he became the WSOP Player of the Year.
- Once Mercier admitted, that there are 7 nationalities in his DNA. The largest part (1/4) is Portuguese.
- In 2013, PokerStars called the hand involving Mercier at the EPT San Remo as "best hand played in PokerStars tournaments":
- In 2016, Jason Mercier married to Natasha Barbour (Mercier), who is also a successful poker player. Mercier proposed to the girl at the WSOP 2016 after she finished playing at the final table of one of the events. In the fall of 2017, the couple had their firstborn son, who was named Marco Henry Mercier. In autumn of 2019, Mercier became a father for the second time. The couple had another son Matteo Richard.
- The Mercier family has a dog named Marshmallow. It became famous in the poker world at the 2016 WSOP by being present at five final tables (4 with Jason and one with Natasha). Erik Seidel (either for fun, or for real) offered Mercier $1 000 000 for the dog, but the couple refused such an offer.