How to disable Aurora engine at PokerStars
- Disadvantages of PokerStars new engine
- How to disable Aurora at PokerStars
- Instructions after updates in October 2020
- How to find PokerStars installation and cache folders
- How to disable PokerStars Aurora on Mac
- Aurora on PokerStars mobile version
In 2020, PokerStars completely moved all their game tables to the new Aurora graphics engine. After that, the poker room’s software began to look noticeably different. The fonts and tables’ visual display changed, and some functions were added, including the ability to throw virtual objects at each other.
Such changes can attract recreational players because the tables became brighter and more interesting.
However, the regulars are not very happy about such an update, since the new PokerStars engine has a number of significant disadvantages for those players who consider playing in the poker room as an income and who actively play at PokerStars for a long time and with concentration.
Disadvantages of PokerStars new engine
- Many unnecessary and distracting details that cannot be disabled;
- Brighter interface, which adversely affects the player's concentration and perception during the long and active grinding;
- Increased system requirements when installing PokerStars client and the increased load in the computer. As a result, there is a higher risk of freezes;
- Auxiliary software stopped working and it began to display incorrectly;
- Problem with previously used PokerStars layouts.
Read also: How to block internal transfer of funds at PokerStars
Some users encountered problems after the appearance of a new engine. The program often freezes and not all hotkeys work with the appearance of Aurora. We have prepared a step-by-step instruction concerning the disabling of a new engine.
How to disable Aurora at PokerStars
Before the PokerStars updates in October 2020, it was quite simple to disable the Aurora engine directly through the poker client in 3 simple steps:
- Go to the lobby of the poker room.
- Open the settings.
- Uncheck the box near Aurora Graphics Engine.
After that, the Aurora on PokerStars was disabled, and the tables returned to their previous appearance. You could turn the graphics engine on in the same way through this window. The players had a choice, and it was not that difficult to turn off Aurora on PokerStars, but the situation has changed in the fall of 2020.
Instructions after updates in October 2020
UPD: Since 22nd October 2020, PokerStars has completely transferred all players to the Aurora engine. To disable it, use the following instruction:
- Delete files in the folder at: C\Users\user\AppData\Local\PokerStars\ImgCache. Note that if you can't see AppData folder, you should select showing "Hidden Items".
- Disable writing to ImgCache folder. Right-click on ImgCache -> Properties -> Security -> Edit -> Check the checkboxes for denying writing to the folder.
- Open the poker client via the PokerStars.exe file. Not through a shortcut on the desktop, but a file in a folder:
After that, the Aurora engine should shut down. We recommend that you consult with the PokerStars support service regarding the permissibility of this method so that in the future you will not have any problems with the support, since the method is working, but it is done through structural files (not through the client of the poker room).
Can't find the PokerStars folder on my computer, what should I do?
By default, the path to PokerStars files on your computer is as follows: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ PokerStars.
However, the path to files of the poker room may differ if you have installed the client not to the default folder on the C drive, but to a different location on your computer.
To find out where the PokerStars folder is located on your PC, you can check the path to the file through the shortcut on the desktop. This can be done in two ways:
- You can right-click on the shortcut and select the "Properties" menu. Then, you will see information about the PokerStars client on PC, as well as the path to the files:
- You can right-click on the shortcut and select "Open file location". Then, you will see the folder where the PokerStars files are located on your computer:
How to find the ImgCache PokerStars folder?
The standard path to the ImgCache folder of the PokerStars client is as follows: C\Users\user\AppData\Local\PokerStars\ImgCache. But you may have a different username and the path will look different. Therefore, to find the PokerStars ImgCache folder, you need to go to the C drive, open the "Users" folder and select the folder with your username. It will contain the AppData folder – Local, and there will be a folder called PokerStars, which stores the cache files of the poker room and, accordingly, contains the "ImgCache" folder.
If you are not sure what your username is, check all user folders on the C drive: “Users”.
If you cannot find the folder, then try using the search bar on your computer.
How to disable PokerStars Aurora on Mac
- You need a Finder to access this. Push buttons shift+comand+G in your Finder and paste this /Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/PokerStars (switch YourUserName on your username). Delete three folders with Pokerstars name on them.
- Start the Pokerstars client. You will be given back the option to disable aurora graphics under Table appearance->Table Graphics.
- You will be asked to restart the client. Restart. Close the pokerstars client. Delete the three folders again as before. Start Pokerstars client.
- Enjoy old good Pokerstars.
If you close the client you will have to delete the three folders again before restarting the client; OR you can leave the client opened all the time.
How to disable Aurora through PokerStars mobile version?
Unfortunately, after PokerStars forcibly switched all users to the Aurora engine, it is impossible to disable it through the mobile version of the poker room.
If you still have some questions, please leave them in the comments or contact us through our online chat.
It doesn't work anymore :c
They changed something, so this trick doesnt work anymore. With aurora I get an error every few hands, and have to restart the client..
On MAC, it was working til last update. Now it doesnt work anymore.
Do you guys have another method to disable it on mac after this last update? Maybe delete something else? Please help, its impossible to play with Aurora on mac more than 3 tables..